Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Switching it up

Genre: Dream
Inspiration: Memory

Last night was fun! Despite having had my treasured motorcycle stolen I was quick to head to the shop to replace it. Strangely the shop was familiar to me and nothing seemed odd, however recalling now it was a small room, dimly lit like a shed and scattered with various motorcycles and small machines. It was like a very cluttered childs playroom flush with power machinery. The sales person was familiar to me as the guy who I bought my actual motorcycle from. The odd thing was that I chose a very fancy sport bike - something out of character for me being both frugal and practical with expenses. I know exactly what the motorbike in my dream was meant to be (subject to the design liberties that my sleeping brain took) and yet even in my dream i had no idea what its actual name of the bike was 9omething I'd probably know if I had just spent $15,000. Regardless, I believe it was a Ducati 998 something or other... I brought the bike home and sheepishly showed it to my wife knowing that she'd be unhappy at me having bought a sport bike - she was none too pleased. In contrast, my friend who also rides was thrilled - I even remember how good the machine looked in my dream. It had none of the fuzzy edges and blurred details characteristic of dreaming - it was shiny, beautifully defined and exquisidely rendered. The fun part came when I got to ride it. I remember the trepidation I felt getting onto a very powerful sport bike. there's always a vulnerability to riding but the feeling was exascerbated on this machine and I remember being very cautious as I pulled onto a strange street didn't recognize. The street itself looked like a movie set, or perhaps an indoor streetscape like in a mall or museum. The road itself was narrow and it's undulations exaggerated. the store fronts on either side were comically shrunk and absurdly close to the street. I get the impression that there was a roof high above darkened to be unnoticable to those below. The ride was brief but fun, especially since my bike has been in storage for over a month now.

The kicker throughout this whole dream is that I was deeply regrettful of having not bought the same motorbike as I currently have (the one stolen in my dream). Part of it was because I have a lot of accessories for it, another part is that I am very familiar with its feel and that it is a reasonable engine size for what I need, and finally simply because I love my bike. This is the second time I've lamented the loss of this bike in a dream - in the first I traded it with a friend fro theirs of a totally different style. I woke up missing my bike a lot but quite pleased that i'm still in possession of the one that I missed so dearly in my sleep. End.

No comments:

Visitors: