Monday, July 14, 2008

Dreamy weekend

A few dreams over the course of the last 3 nights:


The Barbecue:

I enter a courtyard attached to the house that I am in. The courtyard is lush, surrounded by walls and is magnificently landscaped with river stone and dark woods. Among the stone construction is a very modern but well built barbecue installed into the courtyard with stone all around it. The courtyard looks like it may belong in a very fancy, golf club, or modern mountain lodge. I am grilling chicken skewers and as I try and determine whether they are close to being done, my mother approaches from behind and tarts to comment on how I am cooking. As she suggests some subtlety in the cooking technique in my dream, a (real) giant thunder clap sounds as close to my house as I’ve ever heard one. With my open bedroom window right next to me, and the force of the thunder clap which I can feel rumbling in my chest I bolt awake with a very clear notion that something enormous has exploded extremely close to me. At that moment I am not clear if it’s in my dream or in real life.

End…

The Hot Tub:

With two other friends I have broken into (or rather entered without authorization) an unknown persons condo, in order to use their hot tub. The condo is a luxury corner unit perhaps 20 stories up with vaulted ceilings and floor to ceiling windows on two walls (to the right and straight ahead of the entrance door). The hot tub sits in the left corner by the window straight ahead of the door. The view is magnificent, and even though I know we are in Toronto, we’re looking at a cityscape across a river or bay (perhaps more like Vancouver’s geography than Toronto’s). I catch a glimpse of an award or something similar on the wall indicating to me that the owner is in a familiar industry and think that is a coincidence. We sit enjoying the view at night, and leave the lights off inside the unit. Either on the way out sometime later after an indeterminate amount of time, we meet the owner. They inform us that they returned from their trip a while before we decided to leave and decided not to disturb us and simple go to sleep (the bedroom was next to the entrance door away from the windows. Why they made that decision is unclear. At some point later in the dream I learn that this individual actually works in a business very close to my own and that the likelihood of meeting them again in a professional capacity is very high. I am now forced with trying to explain why I had broken into a strangers place to use their hot tub and remember thinking that the odds of that coincidence are extremely low, but feeling very frustrated that it happened at all.

End…

The Man dog:

I am shopping in an unknown mall with a friend. We both try on some designer clothes and leave the store to play pool on a red table which is in the mall – either in a promenade or an adjacent store. As we play, the red felt on the table opens up and reveals a highly complex multi-layered surface below the rail level of the table – apparently this miniature world (like a pinball machine with multiple layers, and finely finished paraphernalia) is part of the game and does not seem unusual to us as we finish whatever game it has become. Once done I am now with my dog, who has through some odd and magical process (though not odd in the dream), become human. As I recall someone in my dream had shown me some simplistic arm movement which transformed my dog into a human. He had become a roughly 5 ft man, slightly overweight, with a bad goatee and strange clothes; an oversize white golf shirt, and denim shorts that were baggy and past his knees. Essentially the type of person you’d expect to see wearing a gold chain and driving an 84 Impala blasting hip-hop on a Tuesday night in a Midwestern town… Strangely, despite his clothes, he did not have shoes. He was also entirely mute what with being a dog and all. I took him by the hand and we went to a discount department store to get him shoes. I remember watching him trying on various cheap sandals and thinking hat I did not want to spend the money on shoes for him since he really wouldn’t know what a good fit was. I also remember thinking that I had no recollection of what the arm movement was that I used to transform him and if it would work to change him back. At that point I flailed my arms a little to no avail.
I jumped now to a recollection that I had left my clothes that I had changed out of at the store and was concerned that it might be closed. I was now searching the mall all over for the store because I did not want to lose a good pair of jeans that I had worn to the store. The mall was enormous with all sorts of impressive novelty attraction like a themed food court that looks like an amusement park. At this point it was also very busy. I continued through the crowds looking for the entrance through which I had initially come but could not find it. Eventually, outside, I ran into a group of friends; among them the person I played pool with. I expressed my dismay at not being able to switch my clothes bag and they pointed out that the ones I still had on from the store were nicer than those I left behind. I agreed, but shared my dismay about my jeans.

End…

Cars in Europe:

I was driving something small and respectable through what I knew was Europe. The “roads” had tracks in the centre of them similar to the electric toy cars that drive in grooves. I was trying to drive around with a passenger while dodging cars around me but was having trouble getting around. As I drove one-ways changed direction, roads got blocked and directions changed and for some reason I seemed to need to be going at a high rate of speed. One clear memory is a long straight away that seemed like a highway with a very high bank - almost 90 degrees - on the right side of the road despite there not being a turn. The car ahead of me was an Audi sedan and went up the bank and as it approached the top immediately crashed down on it roof.

End…

No comments:

Visitors: