Saturday, October 28, 2006

Dream-show

Genre: Non Fiction
Inspiration: REM Sleep

The dream centred around a stay, somewhere unfamiliar. I think it was a hotel of some sort, but if it was it was all on the ground floor. Rooms were lined up in a row and my only recollections of it is the "hallway" leading to and from the room. I am unsure why I was staying there but the rest of the dream had to do with a reality-game show type of adventure, more like the eco-challenge than, say Survivor. I believe I was staying there with my wife and dog.
The most vivid recollection is returning to the room through the long "hallway" which is in parenthesis because it was a strange mix of different places. While it was as narrow as a typical hotel hallway, it was extremely long, perhaps over a kilometer and varied greatly in composition. Sections of it were outdoors, with something blocking the left side, and on the right tall, dense stalks of corn over ten ft high. This transitioned into an indoor section which looked like a barn but much narrower - the left and right were stalls that looked like they were for horses but were too small, perhaps 4*4 ft. the doors to the stalls were waist high and simple wood frame with wire mesh. The floor was dusted with hay and 2*1" slats crossed the hallway floor from side to side. What was notable was that I was running through these sections to the room - there was an urgency to get back to the room, but not for any particular reason - I remember feeling more of a general excitement that comes from eager anticipation of "what's coming next", rather than something specific. I remember seeing mice dart across the barn section floor as the dog and I ran through, me turning and calling him the whole time as he was, (as usual in real life) stopping to sniff, pee and explore as I ran ahead of him. The barn section came to an abrupt stop at a quick left and right kink in the hallway where I knew (though I never made it that far) that the hallway became a typical motel like hallway, though a little narrower and a little more suspiciously derelict.
Outside of this vivid memory, I also remember a particular moment in my dream where I was with others in a dune filled desert like landscape about to get onto motor vehicles for a race across the baron landscape. Teams (I had a partner, though I have no idea who - I think they were behind me) were being ushered through what felt like a checkpoint, to the waiting vehicles. There were a number of them, all different kinds and looked kind of beat-up from what I recall. because I ride motorcycles I was offered a particular vehicle that others had not taken and i remember thinking that using it would provide a great advantage over the others who i had established at this point were on ATVs. As I rounded a dune I was presented the vehicle by the "host" or "Marshal" figure - it was the size of a child's bike with a similar frame. It was yellow with strange wheels about 8" in diameter that had no tires but looked like solid rubber. I immediately thought to myself that this was perfect and would likely win my team the race. Because I was so confident I relaxed knowing that I could leave minutes later because I'd easily be able to catch up and win the leg. It also happened that I had the worn shoes on - either sandals or my dingey boat shoes that I wear for garden work. I left to change them in eager anticipation of riding this machine across the desert.....

No comments:

Visitors: